USSF requires all affiliated games be assigned by a USSF currently registered Assignor.
Referee Assignors are considered a referees’ advocate. Their job includes being:
- Mentors - to help guide referees and offer positive and constructive feedback
- Observers - observe referees as they work and make recommendations to the state program for support
- Personnel Managers and source of correct information - Assignors must be aware and consider referees availability when making assignments. Since the assignor has the most contact with the referee, they are usually the first place a referee goes for information.
- League Assignors - usually works for and closely with the league they assign for. Has the most contact and interaction with referees. Is usually much more aware of referees' experience and registration status.
- Tournament Assignors - does not usually see or interact with referees unless there is a tournament. Must research referee registration status before assigning.